Sunday 22 May 2016

A stranger to conversation

I first came across this book about three years ago. This is when I really understood myself and why I do (or don't do) what I do (or don't do).

After reading that book and watching various videos and the like, I really became interested in this whole introvert phenomenon. I also came across this link and it is this link that I would like to talk about over the next few days. I would just like to give my comments on each of 21 statements and give you my experience.

So, as Julie Andrews sang, "lets start from the very beginning, a very good place to start."

Number 1: When you're out in the world, you're probably not going to be starting conversations with strangers.

Naturally, if you are shy then no you won't be doing any of that stuff. If you are introverted then you probably are not going to be doing that either.

Just to sidetrack for a second. Isn't shyness and introversion the same? No. According to Susan Cain they are different. She says that shyness is the fear of negative judgement while introversion is a preference for quiet, low-stimulating environments.

OK, back to starting conversations with strangers. I know for me it is very much case by case. Sometimes I can start conversations with anyone anywhere. Sometimes I can't even start a conversation with myself.

OK, so from today, I will try to start one conversation with a stranger everyday. I will report back once a week and tell you how it's going. Should be fun. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment