Tuesday 3 May 2016

Pina Coladas and early mornings

I found in my bag a list of things that healthy people do before 9am. I had handwritten the list down and put it in my bag but I am not sure where I got it from so if it is your list I say thank you and I would like to credit you for this list.

Anyway, what do insanely healthy people do before 9am? Lets have a look:

1. They set a sleep schedule and stick to it. Yep, this is something that I have never done although I'm finding that the earlier that I get up I have to go to bed earlier and earlier. I was in bed before 9pm the other day although that does get a bit weird when you wake up naturally at 2.30am. What I can't believe the more I read is that successful people sleep 8 hours a day. Surely not. I can imagine that they sleep a lot less than that.

2. They wake up early ... as early as 6am. Well, I woke up at 4.45 this morning. Do I feel healthier? I don't know. I feel more awake now than I would usually be but I do find that I start fading a lot earlier than usual. I think what is good in Japan is that in the summer, it gets light very early as early as 4.30am. So it makes it easier to wake up early.

3. They drink a lot of water. As I am writing this I have a 2 litre bottle of water next to me. I'm not going to drink it all while I am writing this because I don't want it all but I will drink a lot today. I've heard that it is dangerous to drink too much water but I'm sure that there is a healthy balance. There is  one problem with drinking a lot of water, you get to know the inside of a toilet very intimately, especially after the seal is broken. In winter you seem to spend more time there than working.

4. They exercise before the day gets going. This morning I did two sets of Tabata followed by a few press ups. I never thought that exercising in the morning was any good because I was half asleep but it wakes you up and this time of the year it really gets a good sweat up. I think even if you go for a walk around the block after you get up is good too, just to get yourself up and about and moving.

5. They eat a hearty, balanced breakfast. My favourite is bacon, scrambled eggs, avocado, sometimes tomato and natto. Is that balanced? Probably. Natto is fermented soy beans. You put a little bit of soy sauce on the beans as well as a little mustard. It certainly is an acquired taste and many foreigners here in Japan don't like it although I think it is delicious.

6. They meditate. I remember I tried meditating a few years ago and I didn't really get it. I meditated this morning and I do get it. It calms you. You feel refreshed and ready to go. To me when I first started it seemed new age, hippyish, like we should be sitting around the campfire singing Kumbaya. However it is a good thing and it gets my day started off in the right way. You don't have to meditate for hours on end. 5, 10 minutes and you are done.

7. They read. Ive finished my reading for the day. It is a good habit to get into. I think I bought another book this morning too. Kindles are great, aren't they? Also Amazon is very dangerous. I'll buy that book and that book and that book.

8. They write in a journal. I did that this morning too. In the old days it was called Dear Diary. Journalling is good as you can get your thoughts and ideas down on paper on onto the computer screen whatever the case may be. This blog was originally going to be a journalling project but I found that the 10 minutes I gave myself for journalling wasn't enough for this blog. It will be interesting to have a look at my journal in a years time to see what I have written.

9. They listen to music. As I am writing this I have the headphones on and am listing to some music. I must admit that I don't keep up with the latest music as I used to but I still try to listen to the latest music. It's interesting my music taste could be described as "varied." Whatever sounds good, right?

10. They tell someone "I love you." I love you. You know who I'm talking to.

Well there you go, I can't believe it, I'm insanely healthy. Although don't tell anyone about the Corona, Fajitas, Mud Pie and Pina Colada that I had last night. That isn't very healthy. The Pina Colada was delicious though and it reminded me of this song.



I found it. Here is the original article. Presented by Tropicana. That's interesting. Orange juice seems to be taking a bit of a hammering recently so maybe it is a marketing strategy but whatever it is, it does give us something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment