Wednesday 1 June 2016

Alexander Graham Bell would be appalled

I don't have my phone with me today. As soon as most of you read that you thought, "Oh my god! How can you function without your phone? How can you not have your phone with you? Isn't today boring without it?"

Well, to answer your questions, No. I'm still alive. I'm still breathing without my phone in my pocket or my bag. I can still function as a human being. I know some of you are thinking, "what if you get a message?"

 Well, I'll reply when I get home.

"They might think you are dead."

"What? Because I haven't replied in 2.3 seconds they are going to think I am dead."

"Yes, but what if it is important?"

"Define important."

The default answer here is usually if someone dies. Well, you find out a few hours later than everyone else.

My point today is to wake up and smell the roses some days. You don't have to leave your phone at home everyday but you can afford to leave it at home on maybe one day a week and the whole world is not going to come to an end.

I have found today that I have noticed a lot more around me than I normally do, especially on the train. Have I missed it? Yes, it would be nice to have a look at my phone at some stages today but I can do that when I get home. I expect to have 15 new text messages, 27 new Line messages, 10 new matches on Tinder and 100 notifications from the New Zealand Herald and the BBC.

This whole day has been quite liberating and I might do it again tomorrow or I may not. I'll decide at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment