Friday 24 June 2016

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!

I found this very interesting article about life as an extrovert. Actually my friend had sent me this article but I found the extrovert one much more interesting as I do believe that it is as simple as saying hello. Although in saying that it is quite scary saying hello to someone that you don't know. What was it that your mother always told you not to do? Don't eat with your mouth open? Don't eat with your elbows on the table? Don't talk to strangers? That's it, don't talk to strangers. Sounds like introverted heaven doesn't it? But remember that introverts are not necessarily scared of strangers, they just like to recharge their batteries alone.

However, in saying that we are living in an extroverted world so we need to learn to be more social and that starts by the simple greeting.

In Japan, there is a lot of emphasis on the greeting but it is more of a general thing to everyone in the room and the "good mornings" that I have witnessed can be less than enthusiastic like there is nothing good about the morning at all and the person who is saying it is back in the salt mines and he or she definitely does not want to be there. Come to think of it, that isn't just related only to Japan, of course that scenario plays across most countries in the world every morning. I do believe though that a well meaning greeting is good for everyone. I believe that it boosts the confidence of the person who says it and unless the receiver is a complete asshole, it should make him or her feel better.

So, the first challenge is to say hello to five people today. You don't even have to carry on the conversation or even spend the next two or three days and nights with them, just say hello. Do you think you can do that?

I know that this challenge scares the bejesus out of you but it has to be done. I know that I have to be in the mood and five people can take five minutes or five years so it is a challenge for me too. As the author says in this article it doesn't have to be just saying hello, it can be asking for directions or as my friend used to do in nightclubs, "what time does this place close?" The women he asked that to seemed to be open to his conversation after that question as it was not threatening and not a pick up line at all.

Good luck, tell me how it goes.

Say hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment