Thursday 9 June 2016

Sell to me

I was told a few years ago by an American gentleman that I could never be a salesman in America. It is only recently that I have understood what he meant by that. Isn't it interesting that you finally figure out what someone said many years before?

What I realised is the guy that told me that is a very confident, boisterous guy and I can imagine that is how he wants things sold to him or he would sell himself. It would be loud and proud. There would be a lot of hyperbole and you would leave thinking that the product is the best thing since sliced bread. So for him, my style of laid back, quiet selling would probably put him to sleep.

My question is, is selling an extroverted profession and the answer to that is an emphatic no. There are going to be people out there who are going to be instantly turned off my the used car salesman routine. Those introverts and ambiverts out there are going to run for the hills unless they get railroaded into it which can be a concern. People take in information in different ways. They like to be sold to in many different ways, so don't pigeon hole everyone into that used car hole.

The point of today is don't say to yourself that I can't do that because I'm introverted or whatever. You can do it. It will mean that you do it in a different way. There is nothing wrong with that and you will find your niche that will appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment