Saturday 4 June 2016

The Situational Extrovert

This blog talks about the three types of people. The extrovert, the introvert and the ambivert. In all seriousness we show both introvert and extrovert tendencies. Even the most outgoing, party hopping, "I have thousands of friends" extrovert needs some time alone.

I don't want to talk about that person today but I do want to talk about the introvert who can go to the other side when conditions dictate it. There is a special term for that person, the situational extrovert.

What is a situational extrovert? Well, let me give you a couple of examples from my experience because I have played this role on a number of occasions.

I am fundamentally an introvert. I like spending time with either myself or one or two people who I trust and I enjoy hanging out with. I do go to parties but if I had the choice I would prefer the small group of trusted friends. Does all of this sound familiar? I'm sure some of you who are reading this know exactly what I am talking about.

I'm an introvert and I do enjoy talking in front of people. I have had the experience of standing in front of about 800 people and speaking in Japanese and having the audience in stitches. This sounds very extroverted, right? And you would be right but I am an extrovert in this situation. Hence this kind of person is called a situational extrovert. They can become extroverted and outgoing for the situation.

A few years ago I went to my friend's wedding and there was a lot of dancing involved. I know what you are thinking and the answer is no, I didn't have a lot to drink. I wasn't drunk. I was high on the fact that my mate was getting married and I was just happy to be there. I was dancing around and was the stereotypical situational extrovert. I had to speak as well. Speaking in front of 300 people is not easy either but the situational extrovert was able to come out to play.

I think that in 2016, if you are an introvert and you want to be successful or even semi-successful, you need to cultivate your situational extrovert so that when it is necessary, you can bring it out. Whether we like it or not, we do live in an extroverted society where those people who are the outgoing ones seem to get what they want and do what they want. I know some of you won't like that but I do believe it is true. The extroverted person certainly does have an advantage but you as an introvert can become extroverted too. It takes conscious practice but I'm sure that you can accomplish it.

Playing the role of a situational extrovert can help you out. Develop it, you might be surprised at the results.

3 comments:

  1. Found you from Empire.kred Please install the subscribe widget so I can get updates to your blog.

    Thnaks!

    m.d.finley
    www.chicagotj.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Took the Myers-Briggs and got a very high extrovert "score". When untold everybody I was a true introvert, but could be an extrovert when the situation required it, they all rolled their eyes. It was a sales training class, and no one wanted to believe that I as a successful salesman who could easily speak in front of almost any group at a moment's notice was someone who preferred classical music, reading books and playing chess to almost everything else. They STILL don't believe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Steve. Some people don't understand that having fun can be sitting at home as you say listening to classical music, reading books etc. I think that the better we understand ourselves and understand other people the more successful we can be as you prove in your career. Thanks again.

      Delete