Thursday 22 September 2016

I was told to shut up ...

I saw this quote the other day from an extrovert:

"It's funny how when I'm loud, people tell me to be quiet, but when I'm quiet, people ask me what's wrong with me."

I remember when I was younger and living in New Zealand, I would play cricket every weekend in the summer. I started at school and then moved on to a club.

I remember vividly one day when I went to the clubrooms after a game to have a couple of beers to either celebrate our win or to think about our loss.

Anyway, we were talking in a group about the game and then one guy turned to me and said "Yogi" (that was my nickname at the time) "shut up." I knew exactly what he was saying and why he was saying it but it really annoyed me probably because it drew attention to me that I didn't really want.

Some people can get a little uncomfortable with people who don't say much. Sometimes it is best to me a little animated to just keep the peace but as we all know that can be tiring.

The above quote probably resonates with a lot of extroverts, not the been told to be quiet part but the been asked are you ok if you are quiet. I'm sure it annoys extroverts as much as been told to shut up did to me many years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment