Monday 17 April 2017

Some tips for men courtesy of Pinterest.

I haven't really worked out Pinterest yet. I do have an account and I periodically get emails showing some interesting pins.

Today I would like to comment on this pinUltimate list of 45 Man tips

In case you haven't realised, if you aren't a man then this post might not be of any use to you although in saying that Sex and the City was always good 'research' so you might find some interesting information here in this post if you are of the fairer sex. 

There are 45 tips in this pin so I can't comment (read, don't want to) on each of them but I'll try my best.


5. Never take her to the movie on the first date.

I broke that rule on my first date. We went and saw Muriel's Wedding. We ordered a big box of popcorn only to find out that we both at that time didn't like popcorn. We were both very nervous.




9. Always look a person in the eye when you talk to them.

My father always said that you should look a person in the eye when you shake their hand. He said that you can be judged by the other person quite harshly if:

a. you have a "wet fish" handshake

and

b. you are looking at something else.

Even now, when I see my brother we really exaggerate the look in the eye when we shake hands. 


11. Exercise makes you happy. Run, lift and play sports.

See the following video:




16. Give a firm handshake.

See number 9.


18. Never leave a pint unfinished.

I couldn't disagree with this more. I'm sorry, this is a ridiculous rule. I had a friend who would call them dead soldiers or something like that. He would peer pressure you into finishing it. My opinion is that if you don't want to drink it, DON'T. If you can't eat another bite you won't. Why does beer have to be any different? I'm going to say this again. It is a ridiculous rule and it could be dangerous as well.


19. If you aren't confident, fake it. It will come.

Pull those shoulders back. "Look the world in the eyes" as my mother used to say.

I must admit that if you really concentrate on pulling your shoulders back and walking straight that you feel confident and it only takes a few seconds. You could even acknowledge people walking the other way. You could smile at the beautiful woman that walks past you even if she gives you the Resting bitch face


23. Always stand to shake someone's hand.

Shaking hands is tough and there are always these rules that we must follow. This is an important one and I must admit that I forget it on occasions. I must stand up and you should to.

So, lets recap

a. stand up
b. look the other person in the eye
c. firm handshake, not wet fish


30. When you walk, look straight ahead, not at your feet.

One step ahead of you. I have already blogged about this. Many people walk looking at their feet and even worse, they walk while looking at their phones. You are not appreciating what is around you. Look up and as my mother said (well, she actually sang it):

"Walk tall, walk straight and look the whole world right in the eye."

https://dailyrbl.blogspot.jp/2017/03/look-up-while-walking.html


32. Find your passion and figure out how to get paid for it.

I think that one is pretty self-explanatory. If you can do that you could find yourself on easy street. Could, mind you. If you passion is tiddlywinks, there might not be much payment going on.


38. Never stop learning.

This is very important and let me send you to the blog post from the 28th of April, 2016:

https://dailyrbl.blogspot.jp/2016/04/habits-part-1.html

A few years ago my friend and I read a book called Focal Point written by Brian Tracy. In that book he suggested that you get up early and read for one hour in your field. By field I don't mean going out into the farm and sitting in the paddock but reading about your business or career. So if you are a salesperson, read about sales. My friend and I took this advice and it has taken on a life of its own in which we affectionately call it GH or Golden Hour. It has had other names over the years but it remains the same, read, summarise, and then send to the other bloke to summarise and send back. Reading is great. 


45. No one is on their deathbed wishing they spent more time at work. Enjoy your life.

I think this one is easy to say but in some places it might be difficult to implement. I'm not naming any names.

Hey, if you enjoy your work then work more but if you are just doing it for the money and are feeling miserable I suggest leaving early on occasions. The peer pressure might be difficult to overcome at the beginning but I'm sure you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment