Wednesday 26 April 2017

Starbucks: An oasis for introverts?

Starbucks.

Is this the most well known name in coffee? Probably. I must admit that I don't drink coffee and have probably had about five cups of coffee in my life but I realise how some people rely on it. They are addicted to it and it is almost a status symbol as people grab one on the way to work or school or wherever they are going.

Even though I don't drink coffee I still like to go to Starbucks and have a hot cocoa or water or one of their chocolate chunk scones. They are delicious.

The other day I was in a Starbucks at about 12.30pm. The middle of the lunchtime rush shall we say. Fortunately I was able to find a seat and sat down to enjoy my drink. What I noticed that there were a lot of people sitting by themselves.



It got me thinking. Is Starbucks the perfect place to be alone but with other people? Does that make sense? You are sitting by yourself but you don't feel isolated because there are many other people around you. You might not know them and they might not know you. It's like an ambivert oasis.

I do a lot of my writing in a private members only library. There are three main areas and I like the fact that I can sit there by myself and still feel like I'm in amongst people.

I was made to laugh the other day when one of the other members asked me why I sat where I usually do. He said I must be extroverted. I told him that had nothing to do with it and that the chairs were comfortable. Hey, if you are going to sit there for a few hours at a time you have make sure that your backside is enjoying the time as well.

Remember, you don't have to disappear totally. As someone on the introverted side of the spectrum, you can still get that alone time in a crowded place. You might just have to order a cup of coffee or two while you are doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment