Thursday 29 June 2017

ABSOLUTELY NO REGRETS

Here is a very interesting article about the ten regrets you don't want to have in ten years time.

Below I have given you my take on the ten regrets:

1. Not taking action on meaningful goals

"Procrastination is the thief of time" the proverb goes. I'm sure most of us have goals or dreams or something similar. However, not many of us actually do anything about them because life gets in the way. 

For some people, they have to pay the bills so they go to a 9 to 5. For some people, the latest episode of 'Game of Thrones' is much more important. (I'm probably alienating a whole bunch of readers with that statement.) For other people, they have children to look after. 

For some people the fear of failure is stronger than the motivation to do anything about their goals. 

For me, I'm procrastinating on writing a book. 

Why?

Because I'm frightened of the people ripping my book a new one on the Amazon review section.

Isn't that ridiculous? I haven't even written one word and I'm worried about that already.

2. Letting others create your dreams for you

There is going to be undoubtedly pressure from your friends, family and society in general to conform to what they believe because it is inside their comfort zones. If you start letting their thoughts and feelings control your thoughts and feelings then you are going to have some trouble getting what you want to say and do across.

You need to start living in a way that fits with who you are not what other people think is best for you even though their intentions may well be good.

3. Spending too little time with the right people

You need to spend time with people who inspire you. You need to spend time with people who challenge you. You need to spend time with people who educate you. You need to spend time with people who entertain you in a productive way. (Does that make sense? You are learning but having a good time at the same time. You are not just talking about what he said and she said and what would happen if everyone did this or that.)

The other day I was having a couple of beers with my mate. He had just been to a business seminar and he asked me a couple of questions from that seminar. It was really interesting and got me thinking. 

Not your typical drunken conversation, right?

They say that you are the average of the five people you hang out with the most. Make sure those five people really challenge you.

4. Staying in a toxic relationship for too long

You absolutely need to cut people out of your life who really drag you down. The people who really drain you of your energy and who use you. I'm sure most of you have had someone like that in your lifetime.

I have had that experience and it wasn't fun. Well it was, until I realised what actually was going on. It was not leaving me feeling very good about myself. 

I was thinking about another friend who I haven't seen for a long time and when I think why, that particular friend was very negative about a lot of things and subconsciously I moved away. I haven't talked to this person for many years.

5. Settling for less than you're capable of

I think settling is the worst possible thing to do in any facet of your life. 

You settle for a job that you are not really 100% into but it pays the bills and before long, you think, "Shit! Where is all the time going?"

You settle for someone who doesn't knock your socks off. Why did you marry him or her? Just because you are 33 years old and society thought that you better get married.

Why did you settle for your hobbies? Did peers, pressure you into doing those things OR not doing those things?

Do what you want mate. If it works for you do it. Who cares what other people think.

6. Letting impatience dominate your decisions and actions

There are some times when the words "Oh, fuck it! Lets do it" are an appropriate response. There are other times where that response is not so good. You have to decide when that time is. 

Sometimes you have to think about it a lot. Go through the pros and cons. Other times you have to dive in.

7. Collecting more excuses than you can count

As you know, I do Crossfit. I can do some of the movements quite well, others I am useless at. That is Crossfit though, there is always some things that you are going to have to work on.

Rich Froning, the Michael Jordan of Crossfit found out at one Crossfit Games that his swimming wasn't very good. He went away and become quite proficient at swimming. If he had made excuses about swimming he wouldn't have got anywhere.

I make excuses in my mind about some of the movements in Crossfit which is not good at all. 

"I can't snatch because it is too difficult to do."

"I can't do a burpee because my legs are too long."

"I can't do a pull up because I have never been strong in the upper body."

I can't, I can't, I can't. Blah, blah, blah. Whatever. 

8. Wearing a mask to impress others

Take that mask off this minute. You want to present your real self. Of course, you might want to change a little bit depending on the situation 

Being fake is not good for anyone, especially you.


You can see Phoebe Buffay faking it big time in this video. She was trying to fit in and went way overboard. Of course when she was herself it didn't go over too well either but at least she was authentic.

9. Worrying way to much about stuff that doesn't matter

What's that saying? If you had $86,400 in the bank and someone stole $10, would you vow revenge and destruction on the person who did? (To be honest I would be asking serious questions of the bank about how they managed to lose $10.)

Well, some idiot blocks your way for ten seconds, why do we spend the rest of the day planning that person's demise?

10. Avoiding change and growth

We can never stop learning. We can never stop educating ourselves. Education doesn't finish when you walk out of school for the last time. You are not even half-way through when you walk out of that school.

Continue to educate yourself. Continue to read. Continue to watch educational videos. At the very least, it keeps your mind going and stops you from getting those nasty things. (Well, that is what some people say anyway.)

Imagine if your GP didn't read any of the latest journal articles or attend seminars or anything like that. You would have every right to ask some questions. 


A wise man said to me a few years ago that you should never regret anything because at the time you made that decision it was the best decision that you could have made at the time.

Live a life of no regrets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment