Monday 31 July 2017

FRIENDS: Its a small number, but you must cultivate it.

Here is an interesting article about friends.

It says what I have been saying that we only have a small number of close friends and if you are a regular reader of this blog you will know that I have been saying that for a long time.

We do really only have four or five close friends and I do believe that we overuse the word friend.

For me, a friend is someone who you can ask at 3am on Tuesday morning for help. They will get out of bed to help you as you would at the drop of a hat.

I don't understand how someone can say they are having a birthday party with 700 of their closest friends. I doubt whether they know everyone's names.

I find the word 'friend' on Facebook to be a bit of a misnomer. There are some who I have never met and probably will never meet in my lifetime anyway. Like the article says there are people I see semi-regularly and some who I see maybe once a year.

Are they friends? I don't think so. They are 'mates.' (That word is such a useful word.)



Generally, introverted people will have less friends but you find that they are all extremely loyal to each other.

Extroverts might use the word 'friend' quite liberally. I tend to take that with a grain of salt. It is like when someone said they met Johnny Depp or some other famous person when in fact they only saw them from a distance.

Those top five will do anything for you and if they won't, you should demote them. I'm not being stupid or mean when I say that.

Friends are people who will say good things behind your back and difficult things to your face. They will always have your back and they will always give you a big kick in the backside if you need it or deserve it.

Don't worry how many friends you have on Facebook. It's a nice number but you need to cultivate that small number as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment