Wednesday 19 July 2017

If Obama and Bolt can do it, so can you

There is a famous photo that I have seen regularly over the last year or so where the former president of the United States, Barack Obama is shown greeting a janitor or maintenance guy.

You can see a copy of the photo here.

This was something that President Obama probably does hundreds of times a week but for the other guy in the photo it obviously made his day and probably his week as well.

Something as simple as a high five or hand shake is all that is required.

It reminds me of the following video from the 2012 Olympics:


The other day I moved out of the apartment that I had called home for one year. I wanted to leave the place all spick and span so spent quite a long time tidying and cleaning the place so that when the landlord came for the inspection there would be minimal things to talk about it and that turned out to be true.

Earlier in the day the staff at the building I was living in were more than eager to help me with my rubbish problems as I had a couple of things that I needed to dispose of. They couldn't have been more helpful.

Why is that?

Well, maybe it is because they are nice people and that is their job. Maybe they were bored and had nothing else to do or maybe it was because I had done something simple like say hello to them whenever I saw them or just engaged them in simple conversation from time to time.

Obviously I didn't say hello because I wanted them to help me, it is just the normal thing to do. Right?

Be nice to people and they will be nice to you. Simple!


*Just as I was about to publish this blog post, I saw something on Instagram which really sums up what I wanted to say today.

You can see the Instagram post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment