Thursday 10 August 2017

The Importance of Touch

TOUCH

No I'm not talking about the sport, I'm talking about one of our human being's five senses. (You know what I'm talking about, right? Sight, Taste, Hearing, Smell and Touch.)

Touch is very important in respect to your relationship with others. A well timed touch can really emphasise your point as you are talking and can make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.


As humans, we generally enjoy touch. Generally.

Of course, some of us, especially women might find it a little tiresome when a drunk guy wants to hit on them and he is touching her in all the wrong areas at all the wrong times and slobbering over her. But when the guy is a little bit more sober and coherent then a well-timed touch will be greatly received and might increase attraction.

Of course, there are times when both men and women get offended by touch. I remember in my first year in Japan when I was 18 years old, we would go out with some of our co-workers and drink some beer. (Probably illegal at that stage. I can't remember the law at that time.) One guy in particular was a little, lets say touchy feely. The New Zealand guys in the party couldn't really handle it and we told him and another co-worker as well. Basically get your mitts off us.

As it turned out, the guy only did it when he was drunk (talk about Dutch courage) and was really bad at it.

Having that sense of touch and having a good sense of timing can really work in your favour in your dealings with both sexes.

An expertly timed touch with another guy could lead you to be seen as a confident and trustworthy guy. (But remember to not leave the hand there to long. That can get messy.)

For men especially, for men of all cultures and religions and especially if you are doing international business, learn how to shake hands properly. My father drummed it into my brother and I the importance of a firm handshake and occasionally I find myself giving a dead fish hand shake and I admonish myself. I was taught that you can tell a lot about a person from their handshake. The firmness of it and whether you look at the person in the eye or not.



Remember with touch, if you are uncertain about it, then that is going to come across, especially man on woman. She might sense your lack of confidence and uncertainty and immediately throw you in the friends heap.

It is all about your feeling towards touch. If you feel uncomfortable about it, the other person will feel uncomfortable about it and things will go downhill from there.

One suggestion I saw recently about improving your touch is to join salsa dancing lessons. Not a bad idea if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment