Saturday 14 October 2017

What I learned (or should I say observed) at Crossfit class today

CROSSFIT!

I'm sure that regular readers of this blog will know that I have attended a Crossfit gym for a number of years. I do enjoy it. I like the structured workouts and the sense of community and although I don't take it too seriously, I like the fact that I am learning to lift weights properly although I still can't do a pull-up. I struggle to do burpees well and doing a muscle-up is still but a dream.


Today's class was interesting for me. Normally I would go to a Saturday class at 8am. On Saturdays we have the choice of a 8am class or a 9.15am class, a 10.30am class or a 11.45am class.

Since I joined I think I have been to a 9.15am class once and I have never attended either a 10.30am or a 11.45am class. So today was the first time to attend a 11.45am class.

Got it? Are you following me?

Anyway, the 8am class, like the weekday early 6.15am class is usually quite quiet. There are pleasantries exchanged. A few nods and grunts, but we generally get on with it. Invariably there will be a few visitors from around the world.

The good thing about the 8am class is that you get it over with and you have the rest of the day to do whatever you have planned.

What I want to point out today is (and yes we are going to go back to the theme of this blog) do introverted people go to earlier classes and the more extroverted ones go to the later classes?

From what I observed, yes, that is probably the case.

Now, before you get your knickers in a twist and say:

"Hey Blair, I work hard all week and I need the sleep in on a Saturday morning."

I'm going to say that I realise that for some of you that is the case. No doubt about it. However I reckon that introverted people go early while extroverted people go later. GENERALLY! Not in all cases.

Why is this?

1. Introverted people know that there might not be that many people at the early time so they can relax and enjoy it without having to deal with the crowds.

2. It's Friday night. What is an introvert doing? Yes, they are at home recharging from the week. What are extroverts doing? They are out partying up a storm. They need energy for the weekend so bars and nightclubs and parties it is. By the way, 8am class?!?!?!? F**k that.


There is a myth out there that Crossfit is this big party with people yelling at you to do one more push up or one more burpee or the like. I must admit that I thought that when I joined but that is not necessarily the case.

If you do join a Crossfit "box." Make sure you pick the time you go carefully. Obviously with some people it might not be that easy but if you do like it a bit quieter then you may want to push yourself to get up at 'sparrow's fart.'

Experiment. Go at different times and then find the best time for you. You will find that most people go at the same time so you will start to see familiar faces and that will make it easier.

Good luck. Have a great weekend.

P.S. I have already booked the 8am class for next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment