Thursday 2 November 2017

Did you go to a Halloween party?

It is early November. Did you enjoy your Halloween activities? Did you get all dressed up in some kind of costume and go out trick and treating or even going to some kind of party?

If you did, I hope you had a good time and most importantly you did it because you WANTED to not because some person who gets energised by parties bullied you into going.

Some people who read this are probably thinking that the word bully is a bit extreme in this circumstances but lets look at the definition of bully.

According to the dictionary on my computer:

A bully is a person who uses strength or power to harm or intimidate those who are weaker OR someone who uses superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants.

If an extroverted friend made you go to the Halloween party even though you wanted to stay home and watch Netflix, that's bullying isn't it? Although you allowed it to happen.

Now, people are going to be up in arms saying that I am blaming the victim here and I am going to say that if you went to a Halloween party even though you didn't want to then you are a victim but you should pick your friends better or be strong and tell them no.

I'm not saying that I am perfect, I have had times when I have been at a bar or a party when it was the last thing I wanted. I just wanted to be in front of my TV or PC but I said yes. I was made to feel bad about my original decision and that wasn't good. I allowed myself to be bullied.

Remember, if you are doing something to make someone else happy, in the end no one is going to be happy and you are going to resent the person who asked you and most importantly you might start to resent yourself.

Make the decision that you want to make, not anybody else because at the end of the day you are the one living your life, no one else.


No comments:

Post a Comment