Monday 23 April 2018

DO YOU ORDER TO SHARE OR ORDER FOR YOURSELF?


Watch the above video. Go ahead. I'll wait until you finish. Come on, push that play button. What are you scared of?

What did you think? Can you relate? I'm willing to bet that there are two types of people out there.

Which one are you?

Are you the one who wants to stick all the orders in the middle of the table and share it or are you the one (Smithy) who likes to eat what he ordered?

I'll tell you which one I am, I with Smithy on this one.

Lets forget about the size of Smithy's order for a couple of minutes. That's irrelevant to this scene. What I see however is someone who has thought about what he wants to eat and he has ordered. Probably, a couple of the items on that menu are unusual.

Unusual? I hear you ask. Yes, unusual. Most people when they order takeaway food like this are not very creative and they are not into taking risks so they will order the same thing, time and time again. Then they see that someone has ordered something that is not usual and they are curious, they want it. No risk, right? They will take it and I'll tell you from experience, it really pisses you off. Well it pissed me off time and time again.

I'll give you an example. When I was growing up, the New Zealand example of the above scene was fish and chips.


As the name would suggest, fish and chips is deep fried fish and French fries. You can see it in the above photo. Also on the menu were hot dogs and later on they started offering hamburgers. You know typical kiwi hamburgers with beetroot in them. My favourite was the egg burger.

One of the interesting menu items was donuts. At that time in New Zealand donuts were spelt doughnuts and looked like the following:


Mmmmmmmmmm, DELICIOUS.

However at the fish and chip shop they sold donuts which looked like this:


These were quite unusual in New Zealand at the time so when I ordered one people would want some because it wan't very popular and they wanted to try it which as you can imagine annoyed the hell out of me because I wanted to eat it which is why I ordered it.



I think the Smithy scene is relevant to not only ordering Indian or Chinese or whatever food. We just do the same thing over and over again. Why? Because it is comfortable. We think, better the devil we know rather than branching out and risking looking like an idiot and believe it or not applies to ordering donuts from the fish and chip shop.

How many times have you gone to a Thai restaurant (I'm amazed westerners started going to Thai restaurants in the first place) and ordered the same thing that you had last time. I know that I do which is sometimes I will trust the other person to order for me because then I will get something that  I have never tried before. It is like a culinary adventure.

If you want to try something different or you want to try and do something different, go ahead and do it. Get out of that funk you are it. Who knows, you might change you life, just by ordering a donut as opposed to two pieces of fish because that is what you always do.

I'll leave you with a photo of a hot dog. MMMMMMM. Is it lunch time yet?


No comments:

Post a Comment